As the Globe evolves, the need for software product development upsurges. The major focus is to systemize each and every operation for enhanced usability. The consummation of individual users and stakeholders will be attained only if the developed product meets the anticipated quality. This has augmented the need for Software Testing.
Software testing is a process of assessing if the developed software is up to the quality and expectations of the patron. Software tester trials where the tasted the software by using various testing methodologies and points if any bugs (defects or error) exist. Various prerequisites like well-timed output, pertinent response, proximity in the projected environment are intensely tested by the Software Tester.
A Software Product is identified to have bugs when the software does not execute according to the purpose of its conception. At times the software might not do stuff that was anticipated out of it or contrastingly does things that were not expected. A software product is said to be functioning when it is comprehensibly user-friendly and capable of delivering the purpose of its development.
Testing is done by a team of trained specialists who safeguard the quality of the software product prior to launching. Testing can be done in web-based and mobile-based applications. In order to successfully assure the quality of software, the Tester performs many styles of testing. They fall under Black Box Testing and White Box Testing.
All software products undergo the following testing to ensure fineness:
- Unit Testing is part of white-box testing. The individual group or group of related units is tested.
- Integration testing is done where integration between software and hardware is tested.
- Functional Testing is done to check if the expected functionality requirement is working.
- System Testing ensures that the software functions in different environments.
- Stress Testing is putting a system in unfavourable conditions beyond the expected limits.
- Performance Testing is assessing if the software is up to the expected time and merits and also checks the efficiency of the system.
- Usability Testing verifies if the software is user friendly. It also checks the software’s design and proficiency.
- Acceptance Testing is done to confirm if the product performs up to the client’s needs.
- Regression Testing is performed to check if all modifications made to a module or group of modules execute well without troubling or causing any crashes.
- Beta Testing is a part where the beta or trial version of the software is released for group tests and comes up with bugs that were unforeseen.
There are various domains where testing is done for instance Telecom, Banking, Healthcare, Tourism and so forth.
Mobile testing is done to ensure the quality and usability of mobile-based software. The challenges faced in testing mobile application depends on the type of mobile device, platforms used, network operators and scripting.
Game Testing is exciting among all types of testing where the video games are tested before launching. Interactive entertainment software testing is complex as it needs exceptional abilities such as analytical abilities, detail-oriented, computer savvy and above all the inquisitiveness to play games.
Game testing is less technical when compared to another software testing. Folks fascinated by playing online games are the ones who mostly get into game testing. Compared to other software quality assurance professional game testers hold either basic degrees or just a pass score in high school.
This is because curiosity to play games is more than enough to be a prosperous game tester.
As a part of apprising testing proficiencies professionals have to continuously learn new trends and technologies in software testing, certification programs help to achieve the same. These accreditations also help in successfully attaining better employment prospects.
Some of the prevalent Testing certifications and Quality Assurance certifications offered are as follows:
- ISEB offered by the Information Systems Examinations Board
- ISTQB Certified Tester, Foundation Level (CTFL) offered by the International Software Testing Qualification Board.
- ISTQB Certified Tester, Advanced Level (CTAL) offered by the International Software Testing Qualification Board.
- CSQE offered by the American Society for Quality
- CQIA offered by the American Society for Quality
Apart from the above said individual software testing companies like Indium software India Limited(awarded the company of the year prize in software testing category by Silicon India Magazine September 2014 edition) headquartered in Chennai have their own Training centres with proficient trainers to mentor freshmen and also to give job opportunities based on their merits and performance.
Choosing Software testing as a career is definitely rewarding as opportunities are extensive and onsite openings are increasing. Pupils specialized in computer science and information technology are recommended to take up training for testing which in turn will help them to start their career as an efficacious software tester.